Story of Redemption 5.1 - Jesus Calls His Disciples
Extended Discussion of Story of Redemption 5.1
The Story of Redemption Film Series has eight parts, with 4-5 videos in each part, each video being 5-6 minutes long. The series is designed to where this series can be gone through in eight weeks, with several videos being watched each week. However, each video can also serve as a stand alone devotional thought / discussion prompter. The questions below are for using the SOR 4.4 video (one of several videos in part 3 of this series) in this more extended fashion. CLICK HERE to begin watching the full series!
Using this Video as a Devotional Thought or in a (Seeker) Small Group
Questions to Ask
- Why do you think Jesus chose these ordinary fishermen to be his disciples? What lesson does this have for us?
- Jesus drew together people from all backgrounds, political spectrums, races and ethnicities, gender, and socio-economic backgrounds to be his disciples, forming "the church." Where do you see this demonstrated in the church today? Where do we struggle with this?
- Jesus did not just call individuals, but people together, forming a Christ-centered community. Why is it important to be a part of a Christ-centered community, and not just seek to follow Jesus on our own?
- How can being part of a Christ-centered community help us to grow in ways that we may not be able to do as well on our own?
- The normal practice in Jesus' time was for students to pick a teacher and ask to be their disciples. In Jesus' case, he chose the disciples, causing them to drop everything and immediately follow him. What lessons does this have for us?
- Jesus tells his disciples that if they follow him, he will "send them out to fish for people." What does this show is a primary goal of discipleship?
Using this Video Series to Reach Out to Seekers (on an Individual Level)
- Step 1: Pray for your seeker friend, and ask God to bless your conversations and relationship with them.
- Step 2: Send Out This Video Link Through Social Media / Email If sending through social media / email, send the link to this page out to a seeker friend with the following note: "Hi ________. I wanted to share this short video with you from a film series that I found. It seems to address some good questions about who God is and why we are here. I will follow-up with you in a day or two to see what you think, maybe grab some coffee and discuss a bit."
- Step 3: Reach out to Your Friend and seek to set up a time to get together socially to discuss.
- Step 4: Ask some of the above questions that come from the video when you get together.
- Step 5: Ask your seeker friend what you can be praying for for them
For Further Study - DOWNLOAD the .pdf of Part 4 in the Story of Redemption!
Discovery Bible Study - Make three columns on a piece of paper In column 1, write out the following verse. In column 2, write the verse in your own words. In column 3, write out how you will apply this verse this week.
19 “Come, follow me," Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people” (Mt. 4:19).
What do you learn about God and people from the following passages?
- Matthew 11:19
- 1 John 2:6
- Matthew 16:24-25
- Matthew 10:37-39
- Mark 10:21
- John 1:43
- Luke 6:40
- John 12:26
- John 15:10
- John 13:34-35